Liberty Lane Cottage
In creating Liberty Lane Cottage, Thomas Kinkade Studios’ purpose was to honor strength and diversity, two of the cornerstones which make the United States the country that it is – a place where individual freedoms are cherished and protected.
The strength of a nation cannot be attained or measured by economic power or military might. Strength can only be found where unity welcomes diversity. To those who commit themselves to the dreams and ideas of this country’s founding fathers, the gate to our nation, like the one in this painting, stands open, offering liberty, justice, and freedom to all.
Much like the various colors, shapes, and textures found in the garden surrounding this New England cottage, as Americans, our differences blend us all together into one beautiful landscape.
- The brightly burning lampposts symbolize Lady Liberty’s dedication to lighting the way and guiding people home.
- There will always be times when we disagree with one another’s beliefs, values, or politics. But freedom of expression is a luxury only available to the strongest of people.
- The flags and banners in this painting convey the pride and the patriotism found in the hearts of Americans.
- But the American flags are not the only ones flying. The flag on the mailbox is also raised, causing the imagination to wander. Could be placed there as a reminder of yesteryear? Could it be an outgoing letter to a son or a daughter who is serving overseas? Or, is it an invitation to those outside of Liberty Lane Cottage, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free…?”
- A small tribute to Thomas Kinkade, a man who loved America, is also seen on the mailbox.